Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Introducing Tanach Linkify (version 1.5) for Internet Explorer

What Is TanachLinkify?
Tanach Linkify is a free add-on to Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox which automatically transforms references to pesukim (verses) in Tanach (Bible) and pages of Gemara (Talmud) to a hyperlink to that resource on the Internet. Links go to a linear translation of pesukim at mechon-mamre and images of the relevant page of gemara at e-daf.

Thus, without TanachLinkify, if a web page referred to Bereishit 33:2 or Exodus 22:10, they would remain plain text. With TanachLinkify, they would look like Bereishit 33:2 or Exodus 22:10.

Similarly, without TanachLinkify, if a web page referred to Yevamos 32b or Shabbat 132a, these references would remain plain text. With TanachLinkify, they would look like Yevamos 32b or Shabbat 132a.

Installing TanachLinkify
For Firefox, you can just click on this link to install the extension. This post is to announce the release of TanachLinkify for Internet Explorer. For Internet Explorer, the installation process is a bit more complicated.

1) Click on this link to download and install Reify Turnabout Advanced.
2) Right-Click on this link and save the target to c:3) Restart Internet Explorer. There should be a little Reify button towards the top. Click on it, and on the menu that appears, select "Options..." In the dialog box that appears, click on the button labeled "Install Feature..." in the bottom left hand corner. Click OK, navigate to C:\ and double-click on ietanachlinkify.user.js. Click OK. A new item in the dialog box should appear, which is already checked off, which states "Turn seforim into links." You have successfully installed TanachLinkify. Click OK, and try going to a website that has a reference to a pasuk or gemara.

9 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

How does it know to recognize different versions of names? Does it have to already have them programmed in as variants?

joshwaxman said...

yes, on a phonological level. so e.g. where there was a thav in the Hebrew I accept th, s, or t.
There are still a few I didn't think of initially, so try to incorporate more possibilities with each new version.

Isaac Moses said...

I just installed Tanach Linkify 1.4 on Firefox 1.5.0.8, and it does not seem to work. Your plaintext references remained plaintext. Any idea why?

joshwaxman said...

I'll try setting up an identical configuration and testing it out. thanks for the heads up. I'll try to post a reply later today.
if you got nor other error but it just didn't work, you might need to restart Firefox.

Isaac Moses said...

I did restart Firefox. There was no error message, just no linkification.

joshwaxman said...

If I read you correctly, you tried version 1.4? For some reason, version 1.5 was never successfully submitted on the Firefox Extension page at Mozilla.
In the meantime, you can try Tanach Linkify 1.5 here.

I'll see if I can resubmit, in the meantime.

joshwaxman said...

no, that's not the problem.
let me try again...

Isaac Moses said...

I tried to install from the link in the post, and I ended up with 1.4, according to my Extensions listing. Now, I just tried again both the link in the post and the one in the comments, and I got an error message:

Firefox could not install the file at
http://yucs.org/%7Ewaxman/tanach-linkify-1-5.xpi
because: Invalid file hash (possible download corruption)

It's possible that I got and blindly clicked through this error when I tried to install the first time.

joshwaxman said...

I'm not sure. It is possible that yucs sent the file incorrectly.
I just installed Firefox 1.5.0.8 and it worked.
Perhaps try the file here at Mozilla rather than from yucs.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin