Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interesting Posts and Articles #45

  1. I usually do not watch Dr. Phil, but he has a worthy series continuing today about Katherine, an American girl who ran away to Jericho to date Abdullah, who was supposed to have returned earlier, and who may be under duress.
  2. Orthonomics discusses a return on investment, whether fathers-in-law who support kollel learners should be giving informal fahers. Chaim B. has an insightful comment there which captures more or less what I would say about it: "I read the problem as a blurring of lines between family relationship and business / professional relationship." I would add that while I personally maintain a blog devoted to Torah topics and the parsha, sometimes when asked by someone in an elevator for a devar Torah, I feel put on the spot, simply because it is difficult to suddenly produce, especially something concise and self-contained which can be delivered to someone without background in a small amount of time.
  3. Daat Torah again speaks with Rav Shternbuch, and clarifies his position on calling the police. Daat Torah also has a posting about the upcoming gay pride parade in Jerusalem, and I comment somewhat extensively.
  4. Lazer Beams advises a young bride that she and her husband should not move in with her in-laws.
  5. In the Bizarro comic strip, a new angel gets a surprise.
  6. Bill Cosby's recent book, Come On People: On the Path from Victims to Victors. From the interview I saw and the excerpt I read, it looks interesting, and with Amazon search inside, you can read a good excerpt of the book before deciding whether to buy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Lazer brody:
I would have thought that he would have enough sense to refer her to a Rabbi that knows both her and her fiance. I'd be very hesitant giving out advice that can very much distort someones life without knowing them or their situation firsthand.

Maybe the house is one that has an additional apartment added on - and they would live there. Maybe the M-I-L is a very nice woman after all, and would get along royally with her D-I-L.

I know that my wife and mother get along very well, and don't have any problems. The same is true with my S-I-L and my mother - they get along wonderfully, and my mother is always commenting on how happy she is with her D-I-L.

Your take?

joshwaxman said...

good point.
my take on this is complicated, but perhaps (bli neder) I'll take the time to develop it into a full post.

Kol Tuv,
Josh

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin